Click on images for larger photos

Wisconsin Veneer & Plywood, Inc., located in Mattoon, Wisconsin, was founded in 1887 as the Wisconsin Timber & Land Company, Inc. and has been under continuous operation for over 100 years. It originally manufactured cheese boxes, barrel staves, and shooks. It first produced hardwood plywood in 1906.
 

In 1988, Wisconsin Timber and Land Company became the third company in the Besse Forest Products Group when the Besse family acquired it, and the name changed to Wisconsin Veneer & Plywood, Inc.
 

The Wisconsin Veneer & Plywood complex was recently expanded to 150,000 square feet of manufacturing space. The renovation included the complete replacement of the green end with new in-feed decks, a state-of-the-art Nicholson Debarker, improved cleaning stations and waste handling systems. A third high speed lathe line was installed featuring a 78" Forest Product Technology Lathe and Charger and a high speed rotary clipper. The new line completes an earlier major renovation of the facility which consisted of a new Babcock press dryer, new defect and bunch clippers.
 

The completed renovations give the mill a production capacity of over 200,000,000 square feet (18,580,608 square meters) of northern hardwood veneers annually making Wisconsin Veneer & Plywood a truly modern multi-thickness plant able to satisfy demands for larger volumes of rotary veneers and cut-to-size specialty plywood.