Besse Forest Products Group, a leading manufacturer of quality Northern hardwood veneer, lumber, and specialty plywood, is currently seeking a highly motivated individual to fill a Sawmill Manager position. This position is located at Baraga Lumber Division, in Baraga, MI.
Sawmill Manager Summary
Baraga Lumber Division, a Division of Besse Forest Products Group, is a large hardwood sawmill located near Lake Superior in Baraga, MI. Baraga is surrounded by some of the highest quality and whitest hard maple and red maple timber in the world. We are seeking a Sawmill Manager to successfully oversee operations of two shifts, and over 50 employees.
Sawmill Manager Key Purposes
- Direct and manage sawmill operation in the areas of safety, production, maintenance, profitability, and quality.
- Strive to continuously improve all areas of mill performance
Sawmill Manager Responsibilities
- Establish and monitor overall plant performance for safety, production, yield, profitability, and quality standards for a workforce of approximately 50 employees.
- Oversee mill activities to ensure the total manufacturing objectives are accomplished in a timely and cost effective manner.
- Ensure the safe operation of all mills. Be aware of OSHA regulations and maintain all mills in accordance withal local, state, and federal rules and regulations.
- Manage maintenance team, and capital projects.
- Control and minimize labor overtime and repair expenses at each location.
- Ensure that the plant facilities and equipment are maintained; replace, adjust to plant facilities and equipment when necessary.
- Provide leadership and training to accomplish the company goals and objectives.
- Provide direction, development and leadership to supervisors.
- Encourage and foster a sense of high, positive morale among the workforce.
Sawmill Manager Desired Skills and Experience
- 10+ years of related management work experience desired
- 5+ year of experience in the hardwood manufacturing industry
- 4-year degree, in a related field is a plus, but not required
- Knowledge of NHLA lumber grading rules is a plus, but not required
- Proficient in MS Office
Besse Forest Products Group offers an excellent benefits and compensation package. Benefits include medical and prescription insurance, FSA, HSA, dental insurance, life insurance, disability coverage, 401(k) Plan, vacation package and paid holidays.
Qualified individuals should mail, fax or email their resume and cover letter, including salary requirements, to:
Human Resources Department
Besse Forest Products Group
P.O. Box 352
Gladstone, MI 49837