Plant Manager –
Besse Forest Products Group, headquartered in Gladstone, MI, is one of the leading producers of hardwood lumber and veneer in North America operating four sawmills, one lumber concentration yard, three veneer mills and employs over 400 people.
We are currently seeking a Plant Manager for Goodman Veneer and Plywood located in Goodman, Wisconsin
This position will be responsible for achieving company business objectives for the Plant to include year-over-year improvements in Safety, Quality, Delivery, and Costs through efficient manufacturing methods which enable customer orders to be processed, manufactured and shipped complete on time with the highest quality in a cost effective and safe manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the overall Safety, Quality, Delivery and Cost objectives for the Plant. Develop and implement Key Performance Indicators to achieve these performance objectives.
- Develop and implement long range and short-term objectives, plans and programs for the Plant which align with overall business objectives.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of business acumen to understand how manufacturing operations impact overall Company success.
- Develop and manage Plant operational budget to include both capital and expense items.
- Lead a culture of continuous improvement and be a champion of activities, programs and events to drive continuous improvement efforts throughout the Plant.
- Own the communication process to ensure Plant personnel & company senior management are kept informed of conditions, trends, and important activities affecting the Wood business as well as daily results, quality issues and other business needs.
- Partner with organizational leaders and outside partners to develop optimum capacity, efficiency, and profitability of the Plant.
- Plan daily and weekly production targets and delegate resources to ensure productivity and customer orders meet quantity/quality specifications, are ready for delivery and are delivered on scheduled.
- Provide for the optimum utilization of personnel through workforce planning.
- Actively ensure training and development of assigned personnel to maximize safety, quality and productivity across the production departments.
- Perform performance reviews, employee relations activities, and corrective action in conjunction with Human Resources in a timely and effective manner.
- Present information in written and oral form to a variety of audiences including: Warehouse Associates, Team Leaders, Maintenace Technicians, Operations and Departmental Managers, and Corporate Organizational Leaders.
- Support awareness of environmental and safety concerns in a proactive manner to ensure a safe environment for our Associates and community.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position will manage 3-5 direct reports and 50-75 indirect reports working over multiple shifts.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
PREFERRED EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- S. in Engineering, Business or Wood Sciences with manufacturing operations leadership experience or has demonstrated management abilities applicable to the position.
- Proven track record of driving operational success and results in Safety, Quality, Delivery, and Costs required.
- Financial, process management, and team leadership skills.
- Skillful problem solving and troubleshooting techniques.
- Capable of working effectively under pressure and meeting strict deadlines.
- Excellent communication, presentation and interpersonal skills required.
- Experience working with wood products preferred.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Possess excellent problem-solving skills with a proven track record of solving complex interdisciplinary business problems. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: walk, talk, and hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, moving mechanical parts, toxic or caustic chemical, and outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet in office setting, but the employee would frequently work in hearing protected areas.
HEALTH AND SAFETY RESPONSIBILITIES
Correct hazards and unsafe conditions. Train other associates in safe work practices. Investigate accidents, near-accidents, and potential hazards. Actively participates in housekeeping activities and in the safety and health program.