Assistant Plant Manager – Goodman Veneer & Lumber Sawmill
Besse Forest Products Group, headquartered in Gladstone, MI, is one of the leading producers of hardwood lumber, veneer, and plywood in North America operating four sawmills, one lumber concentration yard, three veneer mills, one plywood plant, and employs over 350 people.
We are currently seeking a Plant Manager within Besse Lumber Company or an Assistant Plant Manager for Goodman Veneer & Lumber sawmill.
This position will be responsible for achieving company business objectives for the veneer plant to include year-over-year improvements in production, quality, and costs through efficient manufacturing methods which enable customer orders to be processed, manufactured, and shipped complete on time with the highest quality in a cost effective and safe manner.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the overall production, quality, cost, and safety objectives for the veneer plant. Develop and implement key performance indicators to achieve these performance objectives.
- Develop and implement long range and short-term objectives, plans and programs for the veneer plant, which align with overall business objectives.
- Demonstrate a strong sense of business acumen to understand how veneer manufacturing operations and sales impact overall company success.
- Develop and manage plant operational budget to include both capital and expense items.
- Lead a culture of continuous improvement and be a champion of activities, programs, and events to drive continuous improvement efforts throughout the plant.
- Own the communication process to ensure plant personnel & company senior management are kept informed of conditions, trends, and important activities affecting the wood business as well as daily results, quality issues, and other business needs.
- Partner with organizational leaders and outside partners to develop optimum capacity, efficiency, and profitability of the plant.
- Plan daily and weekly production targets and delegate resources to ensure productivity and customer orders meet quantity/quality specifications, are ready for delivery, and are delivered on schedule.
- Actively ensure training and development of assigned personnel to maximize safety, quality, and productivity across the production departments.
- Perform performance reviews, employee relations activities, and corrective action in a timely and effective manner.
- Support awareness of environmental and safety concerns in a proactive manner to ensure a safe environment for our associates and community.
- Other duties as assigned.
This position will manage 3-5 direct reports and 50-75 indirect reports.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- S. in Engineering, Business or Wood Sciences with manufacturing operations leadership experience or has demonstrated management abilities application to the position.
- Prove track record of driving operational success and results in hardwood production, quality, and costs required.
- Financial, process management, and team leadership skills.
- Skillful problem solving and troubleshooting techniques.
- Capable of working effectively under pressure and meeting strict deadlines.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills required.
- Experience working with veneer, lumber or wood products preferred.
Qualified individuals should mail, fax or email to:
Director of Recruiting & Talent Development
Besse Forest Products Group
Human Resources Representative
Besse Forest Products Group